Monday, September 09, 2002

Today I was part of a team of 5 people photographing 1,555 freshman for the university. At first I tried to work them, calm them down, get that "but but but I don't know if I am ready for college!" look out of their eyes. Then, it just became a matter of, "ok ready?" click "ext!". Except when the program failed and we had to photograph the same people 10 or 15 times, "ok ready again?", "ok, maybe now", "no, its not you, its the software."

I couldn't believe how many of them had such bad posture. I was barking out "chin up, sit straight, square your shoulders!" like I was a mom at a beauty pagent forcing her poor simple daughter to bleach her hair blond and dance to the music created by such artists as Shaina Twain and the Dixie Chicks.


But what I would really like to discuss is the Head Tilt. Do you know how many people tilt their heads when they smile? Try it, look away from the computer for one second as if a real Foxy McFoxerson had just walked into your office/home / computer lab and smile. I bet your head tilted. Chin slightly towards the left, neck extended so your forehead is back. Why does smiling require a head tilt? And it wasn't just women, for those nay-sayers out there, there were plenty of freshman boys tilting away with their cute litte teeth shining in the flash. Imagine the worldwide neckstrain this must cause! Monkeys smile and they don't tilt! Was it evolution that caused us to become this crazy race of head tilting smilers? Or simply that too many generations sat too close to the tv watching cartoons and didn't listen to their mother's warnings about physical damage?

"Chin up, sit straight, square shoulders! Now SMILE tiltlessly!"