Monday, March 10, 2003


I check my email when the little chime goes off, I run reports and reconcile the few expenses we have, I open dreamweaver and stare bleakly at the palettes and layout tables, I open my "draft_index", I answer the phone, I check my email, I eat my lunch, I check my email, the phone, I open another horrible spreadsheet for data reconciliation and look at it, I answer the phone, I check the email, I decide to shut my door and read a book because I hate my email, I hate the phone, I hate dreamweaver, I hate spreadsheets, I hate my job and my desk, and being here and, horrible, i finished my book, its only 3:30. and then I remembered...

Today, March 8th 2003, around 8:30 AM, I found out while riding the bus that Crabtree & Evelyn has a branch in Kuala Lampur. Crabtree & Evelyn is so proud of this, they advertise it on their bags, along with their branches in London, Paris, New York, Sydney, Toronto, Milan, Hamburg, Mexico City, Hong Kong, and Singapore.

And now, whenever I think of potpourri, I will think of Kuala Lampur. Kuala Lampur and scented hand lotions, candles, soaps, wrapped in stupid flowery gift bags and paper and bows, Kuala Lampur and dried flowers dyed absurd colors and impregnated with the scent of "ocean breeze" and "tranquil meadows", Kuala Lampur and sachets and packets and linen spray and heavy floral scents that remind me of what British Ladies and overwraught French movies starring Gerard Depardieu must smell like, if they all had their own smells. Kuala Lampur and Crabtree & Evelyn.