Wednesday, June 11, 2003

I was once criticized about the blog. I was told that if this person was not my friend in the first place, he would have no interest in reading it because

1. It told him nothing about who I was, what I did, where I am, where I come from etc.
2. My stories were boring out of context and did not help the reader to learn about me, my interests, or identify with me in anyway
3. It was everything he was trying to avoid in creating his own personal web page.

Needless to say, at the time, I was like, "Unforgiveable! I'm wearing a red dress to your funeral and doing the cha-cha-cha on your grave, asshole!"

But, having had some time to think about it- everything he said is kinda true. You don't know who I am, you don't know my hobbies, my stories are usually about mundane things anyone could have done (picking your nose when your office door is open), and its probably nothing like his webpage, wherever it is, because I'm not into Anime and computer geek crap.

However, I think this makes for a better blog. I recently scolded Old Blue Eyes for not updating his page since the dawn of civilization, and he replied that he was taking a breather because he had lost perspective on whether a blog was a blog or a journal. I had to respect that, even though I check his stupid page like every day wondering if something new and exciting might be there, and its not. Go ahead, give it a whirl, there is nothing new: Old Blue Eye's Page. (ha! I've called you out. Its like a duel now. POST SOMETHING, and preferably about me, thanks).

And I must admit, even though I made some very serious rules for myself about writing this thing, I too have certainly crossed over to the "diary-ish" side of things on occasion. But who wants to hear about what I did last night (tv, grocery shopping) and what I ate (a wrap) and what shampoo I used in the shower (erm, another roomate's) and when I went to bed and what I decided to wear today and what I'm planning for the weekend (not a damn thing) and my highest score on Bookworm, on a regular basis? I'm already weeping with boredom. That's my life. Its boring. There are times when exciting things break through, like the rumor that two mens went into one of my two bathrooms together at my last party and stayed there for a certain period of time doing something unknown (consider what the might have been doing. Two men. One bathroom.), but on the whole I doubt anyone gives a crap about my opinion on the latest movies or music releases, or how I feel about current national affairs, because I am not on tv and therefore, unbelievable to the average Joe.

So, in the end, I realize that I am not the blog and the blog is not me. But it is an extension and creation of myself, and therefore, me, in a way, but in such a way that you have no idea who I am and I prefer it that way. Live in agony if you must, but I have nothing to say on the subject of myself if it does not come with a side of funny stories and ironic one-liners on top.

The red dress and the cha-cha-cha still stand.