Monday, August 08, 2005

This is just to say

I'm just about to slap on some makeup and rush out the door for my first class in Snob Librarianship (Museum Studies), but I wanted to take a quick minute and say something about Peter Jennings. I don't have a lot of time and certainly not enough to do him justice, but I really liked Mr Jennings, which is saying something.

I don't watch the news. I rarely read the newspapers anymore. Mainly, I pick up the free mini-Washington Post in the mornings, scan the headlines, and read my horoscope before settling down with the crossword for the rest of my commute. Watching the news makes me sick. Every time I turn it on, whether local or national or CNN-24 hours, its so full of bullshit and hype, I can't stand it. Its not that I want to remain ignorant just because there are difficult things happening in this world, its rather that I would not like to hear ignorant reporting of those things.

On Sept. 11th, Peter Jennings was who I watched. I made my whole apartment watch him, all day. He rolled up his sleeves and spoke calmly, honestly, dispassionately, but with true feeling and care. I liked him. I even said, "I'm glad Peter is here to talk to me", which helped my roommates laugh for a brief moment, but was also true. And on Sept 12th, I turned him on again. Everday thereafter, if I did watch the news, I made a point of choosing Peter Jennings. That horrible day, he became my friend, and I trusted him and what he had to say to me.

So I honor and salute you, Peter Jennings, for the work you did and the honesty with which you did it. I'm sorry to see you go and I hope its on to better places and better things.