Monday, October 10, 2005

waz up bitches

Firstly, you will have to excuse any misspellings, typos, errors, etc., because I am at a computer at the Arlanda airport in Stockholm and it has a strange keyboard. Swedish has three extra letters (å, ö, ä) and because of this, they moved all the punctuation marks around. It took me a full minute to find the double quotations (shift+2) and let's just NOT talk about the hyphen mark.

I got to the airport at the absurd hour of 6:30 AM this morning and my flight to Reykjavick (Iceland) isn't until 2 PM. My dad's flight was super early, so now I'm wandering around the airport like a bum. I already pissed off one cashier when I tried to pay her in change. HELLO, what the eff am I going to do with Swedish Kroner in the US of goddamn A? Exchange places don't take coins and all of my friends are too old to be inpressed by shiny bits of metal.

I can see MKD now-- "Helloo biatch, what the fuck am I going to do with a fucking kroner coin? Where is my real present?!"

I was initially really excited about the stopover in Iceland because I thought I could score some awesome Icelandish candy with weird names (my fav Swedish Candy? The PLOPP chocolate bar! HAHAHA, plop! Like in a toilet! But yummy!). But the sign pointing to the shopping was in one direction and my gate was in the other. There wasn't really enough time to shop in Sweden either-- all family and eating, all weekend- so I just burned my cash at duty-free. I like to play "swedish-roulette" when I am at the Arlanda airport. I look for a cd or dvd that is swedish-made and buy it. One time, I thought I was buying some cute grrl punk and ended up with swede-pop princess. However, the other time, I got a movie that was about a gal who got revenge on her snotty vegetarian friends by making beef stew and telling them it was all vege. Yay Sweden!

Sweden was warm and sunny this weekend, which left me feeling a little out of sorts. What's the point of going somewhere if the weather is going to be the exact same as suburban MD? Oh sure, family, travel, blah blah blah. I bought the cutest effing jacket at Old Navy for OHMYGAWD THERE IS NO DOLLAR SIGN WAIT I FOUND IT $20 and only got to wear it once. Poo.

However, I really did have a great time and I looove the swedish fam. Its nice to meet people who do the things I also do, that are strange elsewhere and for other people. Sleeping in late, being bookish and introverted-- its practically an act of patriotism here. I'm kidding of course, the Swedes are a diverse and varied culture with a great many DYED blondes. Oh yeah, that blonde thing? Hyperbole.

However, I will give the Europeans their shoes. Man, watching people walk by me in Reykjavick was like being at a shoe-fashion show. Hott.

Earlier this internet-session I sent out some emails and it just dawned on me that I'm not going to hear anything from any of you before I get on the plane because its 4 AM where you are. Jerks.

I'm off to the bar. If its 4 AM where I come from and 10 AM here then its obviously the right time for a beer.