Monday, August 21, 2006

information schminformation

I've been looking at jobs.

Oh jobs. Oh you terrible terrible jobs.

With my trusty (recently acquired) MSLS and my 1+ year of work experience, I am often woefully overqualified for the most frequent job openings-- Library Clerks, Library Assistants, Library Technicians. Of course, having the degree means I can qualify for the actual Librarian jobs, but without five years experience cataloging rare 15th century scrolls written in the blood of innocents while standing on my head eight hours a day in some hill-top monastery in Tibet, I'm sadly unprepared for true Librarianship.

What, you didn't spend the past five years in Tibet? Did you even talk to your career counselor at that crazy school?

Then, of course, there are the job descriptions written by non lib-sci-ers whose titles get me all excited about benefits packages only to be let down in the end since I went ahead and spent A SHITLOAD of money getting a degree that makes me RETARDED for even looking at the listed qualifications.

An aside to job position writers-

If your position only requires someone to HAVE A HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA, this is not a Library Assistant. This is a clerk. Or a mongoliod with just enough brute strength to lift 30 pound boxes overhead.

If you are paying anywhere in the $8.75 to $10.00 an hour range, this is not a Library Assistant. This is a clerk, maybe just barely a technician. Frankly, you should call it 'Internships in Information Management and Organization" and refuse to pay people at all. Then you can get all the cheap graduate student caliber labor you want (up to forty hours per week for three months!) at no cost to you! Sah-weet exploitation!

Ahem. Thank you.

Finally, I found a few non lib-sci specifically listed jobs that ARE actually all about the (awesome) library sciences: Research Analysts, Information Organization Associates, Knowledge Management Assistants, etc etc. If your job is about finding out things and then telling people about it, its friggin librarianship, okay?

I am sort of looking forward to writing a cover letter that begins, "You don't know it yet, but a librarian is going to change your life!"

First, I have to translate my underqualifying 1+ year of library experience and my overqualifying MSLS into terminology that a non-librarian would understand. The words "information management" can only be used so many times in a resume.